Monday, March 03, 2008

My Favorite Things, Part 1

Do you ever look around your house and wonder, "If this place was on fire, what would I grab?" Apart from your kids, wedding photos, or any photos for that matter, what would you miss most in your house?

I want to share with you some of my favorite things in my home decor. As I was snapping my photos I realized, "I've got a lot of favorite things! I really hope I don't have to move all this stuff in case of a fire!" Most of these items are not worth a lot of money. In fact quite the opposite. Most are garage sales, thrift store finds or hand-me-downs. But through the years they've altered appearances to become uniquely mine. And they have become some of my favorite things:First off is my transferware. I purchased the first two plates in this pattern at the Goodwill store in Burnaby, British Columbia. I loved the pattern and color. It reminds me of toile for which you see I have a passion. To my mind, toile paints a picture of pastoral beauty. You will see I can't get enough of it. I only had two dinner plates from this Ridgways, "Country Day's" pattern, but when we returned to Colorado I discovered ebay the hunt began. Over the next six years I collected enough dinner plates, dessert plates, soup bowls, sugar bowls, creamer, tea pot, salt and pepper shakers, serving bowls and platters for a service of 12. It was a labor of love.


Next in line is a corner hutch which my high school friend, Tricia gave me when she and her husband moved away from Southern California. It was originally a pale pink. When we moved to Colorado I sponge-painted it blue and white. Its current color change came when we moved to Sparta. That Summer ('02) I went on a decorating rampage (more examples to come). I painted the base in Black Rose, rubbed wax on various spots (which would normally receive wear and tear), painted a second coat of Marshmallow and then sanded off where there was wax. The drawer stopped working when I painted over it, oops! Do you like my papaya walls?

Right next to the corner hutch is this poster I snaggled from a grocery store in Fullerton, California. While visiting my sister, Val took me to one of her favorite food haunts - Zackies. They sell mostly imported goods - fine German chocolate, Turkish coffee, British biscuits. There was a pile of posters on a table, waiting to be hung and I admired them. The store clerk said, "Take your pick!" Dave loves a fine Czech pilsner so the decision wasn't too difficult.

Next are posters I bought while visiting the Bennetts in the Netherlands in November of 2001. We discovered Tin Tin while living in Canada (1996-1999). Ian gobbled up all the comic books and when we found the cartoons on TV we taped those to bring back to the U.S. We bought these at a flea market.

Part 2 will continue in the kitchen!

5 comments:

Dave Moody said...

Ok, you're my favorite thing, so I'd grab you...

..but then the house doesn't need to be on fire for me to do that.

Anonymous said...

How many "my favorite things" are there going to be? Not that I don't appreciate them, though. They're fun! I think I'd get my guitar. Recently, I got a new duvet cover set that I love from Ikea (called Andrea Blom)...might take that too. Does there have to be a fire? I like my stuff.

Barb said...

No fire necessary. You know how my mind works, wondering through out the day, pondering questions randomly....
and there are 5 parts to this series so there is no way I could rescue this stuff in a fire. But if we had to rid ourselves of furniture - belongings - because we were, say moving overseas.... Is that a better question?

Heidi said...

I love your favorite things, *especially* your transferware!! Love the papaya walls, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was awesome! Those beautiful dishes wouldn't go with a thing I have, but I'd think they were lovely, too, if I ran across a couple in a store. Neat!